Wednesday, September 13, 2006

|

sometimes it is very difficult for me to love george w. bush with a godly, agape love. i know i'm supposed to, but what's a girl to do when i get so worked up every time i think about him, and particularly every time i hear him speak? see, i have the belief that i'm primarily a citizen of the kingdom of God over any earthly kingdom or nation, and that's a belief that keeps me from becoming too involved in earthly politics. but when it comes down to it, i am a citizen of columbus and ohio and the u.s.a., and every day at my job reinforces the incredible need for things like affordable health care for everyone and strong public education and safety for our children. and some days, like today, i just want to convince everyone to join the democratic party. maybe i'm just watching too much "west wing." maybe not. regardless, i could make a theological case for not voting at all, but this november, you'll see me at the middle school down the street voting for ted strickland. and you may see me voting for hilary rodham clinton in two years, and you'll most definitely see me vote for barack obama some day. unless, of course, you can convince me otherwise.

4 Comments:

At 9/15/2006 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even think why anyone would try to convince you otherwise. I am not a w fan myself, and will never encourage not voting. I too get angry just hearing his name, or his stupid voice. Hang in there, just two more long years! (Kate M.)

 
At 9/16/2006 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I heard Anne Lamott speak this spring about how she couldn't love GWB. But then again we can't love anyone 100% of the time, so she was aiming to love GWB at least 5% and then would try to work up from there. I thought that was a pretty good way to sum up my feelings as well. I think I might be at about 4.8%.

 
At 9/21/2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger CarolN said...

It's true, Gee-Dub is hard to love. I think there is certainly a place for righteous indignity when a person claims the name of Christ but really badly misrepresents him and hurts a lot of people in the process. Sometimes I do feel sorry for him, though. You can almost see in his eyes that he's overwhelmed and learned kind of late that the big, big world is a lot different than Texas. Well, anyway, most of the time I just foam at the mouth when I hear him speak. But there is this little voice inside me that says I'm being a hypocrite when I hate someone because they aren't being nice. I hate that voice, too. Maybe I'll finally learn something through the 8 years of Bush's reign.

 
At 10/10/2006 09:59:00 AM, Blogger GigiDB said...

vote libertarian! woohoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home