Wednesday, December 08, 2004

|

did you know that in columbus, a female crack addict with no insurance (and seriously, how many crack addicts have medical coverage?) only has one place to go for detox and entering treatment? that particular place has no beds right now, so women who want help have to call every morning to see if a spot has opened up. my coworkers and i have at least three moms trying to get in right now. that requires a lot of patience and initiative from women who, by the very nature of their disease, lack the structure and discipline to effectively follow through on much of anything. i met one of these moms this morning. we've had custody of her child (my favorite!) since july, and she finally showed up today so that i could meet her for the first time. small miracles do happen. but now that she's taken the steps to talk to me and to try to find help, i'm afraid she won't be able to hang in for a few weeks until a bed opens up for her. i love my job. i have a lot of addicts right now, though, which is a little new. in cincinnati, all of my cases were sex abuse, and the issues are different. at least there, i usually knew where my parents were at all times...still, though, i will reiterate that i love my job. this is a field that you either very much succeed in, or very quickly move on to something else. i love that i rarely spend eight hours at my desk, and that every day is full of the unexpected. i love that it takes me everywhere, from court to homes. i love that i get to see people make changes, albeit small ones. it would just be easier if there were less crack in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home