Friday, June 18, 2004

|

i've been in the social work field long enough to not be phased or too emotionally affected by the trauma that i observe every day. but every once in awhile, a certain kid will get under my skin and into my heart. today one of those kids got sent to the department of youth services, or jail for kids, and i've been finding myself near tears all afternoon. aargh! i haven't even been working with this kid for very long, but he's really intelligent and talented and has a father who loves him and is committed to him. but he makes really bad choices, and has no impulse control. he's been locked up in detention for about a week after running away, and today when he walked into the court room with his buckwheat-crazy hair (he's starting to form dreads in the back) and his squinty eyes (he needs glasses, but they haven't come in yet), i just ached because i knew that even though the the treatment center he had been in wanted him back, and his probation officer wanted him to go there, the magistrate was going to lock him up. don't get me wrong - it's been made very clear to him that it was his responsibility to stay out of jail, and the magistrate was very fair and consistent. but i still ache. it's been a season of aching recently. funny, it's when i'm the most balanced and healthy that i'm also most acutely aware of the needs and hurt around me... but tonight i get to hang out with abby and nora, and we're going to see "ella enchanted" at the $1.50 theatre with daniel. hurrah for fairy tales!

3 Comments:

At 6/18/2004 08:01:00 PM, Blogger Stetlers said...

I admire you. I have a degree in social work and even passed the test to get my license, but I knew after my internship my senior year that I couldn't take it. I brought it home with me every day. The social work field needs more people like you. I can only imagine the kind of impact you make on the kids you work with.

 
At 6/24/2004 03:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having three adopted brothers who came from "the system," I can appreciate good social workers...those who really care about their clients. Stay strong, stay tender. You rock! ...Emily

 
At 6/24/2004 06:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy...
Is your cheerful account working? 'Cause Sheldon said a post to you keeps bouncing back. I emailed you earlier in the week, and don't recall any bouncing, but maybe it did since I haven't heard back. I don't use the phone much but you could call me tonight at 574-294-1657.
See you soon!
Andrew

 

Post a Comment

<< Home